How Do I Enroll My Child in a Texas Public School?

Step 1: Identify your school or district.

Every school and district has its own enrollment process, so it's important to known what district and school your child should attend.

    Use the District Locator Tool if you are not sure what district to enroll in.


    Locate a specific school by entering your address or ZIP code.

Step 2: Complete the district's enrollment packet
online or at your child's school.

    Go to district's enrollment website and create a free account OR go to your child's          school office.

    Fill out the forms and surveys included in the packet.

    Name, address, and phone number


    Age and birth date

    Emergency contact information

    Home Language Survey (see more information below)

    Health Survey

    Employment Survey

Step 3: Submit required documents and records online or in person.

It is helpful to gather these documents before starting the enrollment process.

        Parent identification (for example, driver's license or photo ID)

        Student identification (for example, birth certificate)

  •    Need to order a birth certificate? Visit the Texas Department of Health Services.

  •     Social Security number

  •    If a student does not have a Social Security number, the school will assign a state-approved identification     number.

  •     Proof of residency (for example, utility bill, deed, or lease agreement)

        Information about previous schooling (for example, report card)

        Vaccination records (learn more here)

Step 4: Learn about other services available for your child.

Ask your school about these services.

    Bus schedules and routes

    After-school programs

    School nutrition and lunches

    Health services

    Interpretation and translation services

    Information on how to be involved at school

    Communication with teachers and the school

    Adult education classes and parent support

What if I Don't Have All the Required Documents and Records?

Students will still be allowed to enroll and go to school, even if parents/guardians do not have the above documents. However, the student's enrollment will be considered temporary until all documentation is provided. As a reminder, school staff are not legally allowed to ask about your citizenship status.

What is the Home Language Survey?

The Home Language Survey is completed by a parent or guardian when their child enrolls in prekindergarten through grade 8 for the first time. The survey can be completed by the student if they are enrolling in grades 9 through 10. The survey helps educators decide whether a student should be tested and considered for additional language support services, such as bilingual and/or English as a second language programs, and informs instructional recommendations. The Home Language Survey is used only to determine language services for your child and not for determining immigration status.

The survey asks the following:

  1.     What language is used in the child's home most of the time?
  2.     What language does the child use most of the time?

If either of your responses indicates the normal use of a language other than English, the school district must conduct an assessment to determine how well your child communicates in English. Information about the assessment and the results should be communicated to parents in a timely manner.


  •     If you answer that your child speaks a language other than English, your childs's language skills will be tested and     your child may be recommended for a bilingual or English as a second language program.
  •     If you answer that your child speaks only English, they may be placed in an English-only classroom.

If you have questions about the Home Language Survey or would like help completing the form, please contact your child's school or district.